The Cathedral Cultural Series exists to bring residents of Detroit’s North End and all of Metro Detroit to a place of transcendent beauty in the grand stone sanctuary of historic Blessed Sacrament Cathedral. To that end, we host the best international, national, and local instrumentalists, singers, and organists for one-of-a-kind performances at reduced or no cost.
As an avenue for the premiere of new works, the Cathedral Cultural Series presents diverse musical events from the Renaissance to Jazz and Gospel. It has provided the opportunity to premier new works by Elwood Derr, Dr. James Hartway, Adolphus Hailstork, as well as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra’s premiere of Fanfare for a Sacred Occasion. The CCS is proud to host and support local musicians, including Mosaic, University of Michigan, the Detroit Children’s Choir, Wayne State University, Audivi, the Motor City Brass Quintet, and the choirs of Blessed Sacrament Cathedral.
The Cathedral Cultural Series has presented recitals by world acclaimed organists Olivier Latry, Simon Preston, Rudolf Innig, Pierre Cochereau, Marilyn Mason, and James Kibbie. Major choral performances include Chanticleer, the Tallis Scholars, the Vienna Boys Choir, and Detroit’s first performance of the Monteverdi 1610 Vespers on period instruments.
As a nonprofit organization, funding is provided by the Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Archdiocese of Detroit, and private donations.
Help us bring the world’s best talent to Detroit’s North End with a contribution to the Cathedral Cultural Series. Donate here.
2022-2023 CATHEDRAL CULTURAL SERIES SEASON
All programs are free and open to the public. A free-will offering will be taken.
SUNDAY, Oct 23, 2022 – 4PM ORGAN VESPERS
- Featuring 3 of our Cathedral organists: Shari Fiore-Bloom, Mary Zelinski, and Horst Buchholz
SUNDAY, Nov 13, 2022 – 3PM ST. CECILIA SING
- In conjunction with the Detroit chapter of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians, featuring multiple choirs from the Archdiocese of Detroit
FRIDAY, Dec 2, 2022 – 7PM FESTIVAL OF LESSONS & CAROLS
- Featuring the choirs of the Cathedral with the Cathedral Choir Academy. Please join us for this special event with readings, prayer, and music for Advent and Christmas
SUNDAY, Feb 19, 2023 – 4PM CHORAL VESPERS
- Featuring the Schola Cantorum Detroit under the direction of Horst Buchholz
SUNDAY, Mar 26, 2023 – 4PM ORGAN VESPERS
- Organ students from the University of Michigan
SUNDAY, Apr 30, 2023 – 4PM CHORAL VESPERS
- With the Archdiocesan Chorus featuring music by Rene L. Becker, the first music director at our Cathedra
SUNDAY, May 21, 2023 – 4PM MUSIC FOR TRUMPET & ORGAN
- With Carrie Schafer on the trumpet and Horst Buchholz on the organ