We are thrilled to be able once again to present a season of sacred music for your edification, enjoyment, and contemplation.
Since 1974, the Cathedral Cultural Series has brought the finest choral, organ and instrumental music to Detroit’s North End neighborhood, programming a wide variety of music acoustically suited to the grand stone sanctuary of our historic Norman Gothic church. Musicians from across the world have come to the cathedral to lift hearts, minds, and souls through the life-changing beauty of music. This season features several of our very own musical forces, and we hope to see you at many of these wonderful events.
Archbishop Allen Vigneron has commissioned our rector, Father J.J. Mech, to turn Detroit’s Cathedral into an Apostolic Center of Arts and Culture. We count on your continued patronage and hope to see you at many of these wonderful programs in the new season.
2022-2023 CATHEDRAL CULTURAL SERIES SEASON
All programs are free and open to the public. A free-will offering will be taken.
SUNDAY, Oct 23, 2022 – 4PM ORGAN VESPERS
- Featuring 3 of our Cathedral organists: Shari Fiore-Bloom, Mary Zelinski, and Horst Buchholz
SUNDAY, Nov 13, 2022 – 3PM ST. CECILIA SING
- In conjunction with the Detroit chapter of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians featuring multiple choirs from the Archdiocese of Detroit.
FRIDAY, Dec 2, 2022 – 7PM FESTIVAL OF LESSONS & CAROLS
- Featuring the choirs of the Cathedral with the Cathedral Choir Academy. Please join us for this special event with readings, prayer, and music for Advent and Christmas.
SUNDAY, Feb 19, 2023 – 4PM CHORAL VESPERS
- Featuring the Schola Cantorum Detroit under the direction of Horst Buchholz
SUNDAY, Mar 26, 2023 – 4PM ORGAN VESPERS
- Organ students from the University of Michigan
SUNDAY, Apr 30, 2023 – 4PM CHORAL VESPERS
- With the Archdiocesan Chorus featuring music by Rene L. Becker, the first music director at our Cathedral.
SUNDAY, May 21, 2023 – 4PM MUSIC FOR TRUMPET & ORGAN
- With Carrie Schafer on the trumpet and Horst Buchholz on the organ.